The Woman Has Soul

Over the course of 10+ years of being married, my wife has become very adept at identifying my faults. She also is very good at communicating them to me. One such fault is that I never seem to write anything about her. I'm not sure if she envisioned me writing poems or short stories that detailed her beauties, but here you go, scratch this one from the list.

The woman has soul. As I think about another year of preparing for Christmas, I am tempted to point out all of the little things that have worked so well for us through the years, but it is the subtle things that matter most. I absolutely admire and adore the fierce loyalty and maternal instincts that kick in whenever there is a real or imagined threat to one of the children. My wife likes to lock the doors to make sure that we're all safe. (It was infuriating when I went out to check the mail and turned to find the door locked, but that's another story). She can't possibly close her eyes until she knows that we are snug in our beds, warm and comfortable. That comes from the soul.

She is also quick to take advantage of my personality quirks - the obsessive, compulsive traits in my personality are given a real workout when she is around. She understands that I have to finish each chore in the fastest possible time, and that if there is work to do, I can't rest. That is why she is famous for saying, "Hey laundry boy, the baskets are getting full." It's all about soul.

My wife is now a Yankee lover and a huge Springsteen fan - that is because she knows I obsess about both of those things in my everyday existence. As Bruce might say, "She's a good companion for this part of the ride."

Life can be a challenge from time to time. When the children were young, it was all I could do to battle my way through, but every chance I got, I mentioned to my wife that these are better days with a woman I can call my friend.

So, as Christmas comes and we chase the kids around the house, I just wanted to use this blog to send a Christmas wish to my wife. There - I wrote something about you - and I can't tell you enough - "I'm Happy, in a love like this."

Comments

yankeefan said…
you actually made me cry.

thanks
marylou said…
wow! nice job Cliff!!
We are all blessed to have her in our lives... lot of soul. And I love her too.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie