Whatsoever You Do

I was letting the dogs out last night and when the cold hit them in the face, they came running back to the front room, looking for warmth. I mentioned something about the fact that they were lucky to have a home, and a lifelong problem struck me straight between the eyes.

Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers.

I remember those words from my Catholic school upbringing, and I think of them each time Christmas comes around - I hate myself for thinking of it only once or twice a year. There are people living on the streets. They can't come in from the cold. Perhaps, they did it to themselves, but when I think of it, I'm sure that it is because circumstances bit them in the butt.

Do you know that tonight, when the temperatures are hovering around twenty degrees, there are people sleeping under a bridge somewhere, within ten minutes of your home? Do you understand that you have clothes that you forgot about in your closet that would mean the world to a freezing man? Do you know that the Buffalo City Mission - or whatever mission is near your home, would distribute your extra clothes to a man or woman that might freeze tonight?

I can't help but think about it - Whatsoever You Do - God, the nuns had a field day with me - but one of the greatest lines Springsteen ever wrote was "Let Love Give What it Gives."

Every year a high school class stimulates what living outside can do to a human being. I'm not interested in their camping trip - I want to know what I can do to help. I wish I had all the money in the world to give so that a man or woman, no matter what the circumstances, could have as much comfort as my two dogs - who are sleeping soundly on my half-working electric blanket as I type these words.

Whatsoever You Do for the Least of My Brothers.... give a dime or two this year and throughout the year. Let love give what it gives.

Comments

That's awesome. Let love give what it gives. Decided I am going to spend Christmas day without the kids :-( at the soup kitchen, and I am going to give what I have to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie