Oh Britney!

Seven or eight years ago I was flipping through the stations when I came upon a Britney Spears concert on HBO. I hit the mute button and watched. What I saw was an amazingly attractive woman, singing? and dancing. Being a hot-blooded American male, I felt a little guilty at sneaking such a lustful peek at such a young girl. Yet, I couldn't not watch! I'll never forget it, either. Britney was in a small green outfit, and with all the sass and hoopla, she was defiantly daring me not to look.

In the back of my mind though, I was rooting for failure. Not sure why we do that to stars, but when someone has too much fame, or too much money, of too much looks we need to tear them down a peg.

I swear, Britney, I didn't want to see you fail so much. Back then, everyone man wanted to be with Britney and every woman wanted to be like her. Women envied her body and her beauty. A funny thing happened, however, after Britney shaved her head in that famous act of defiance... she started looking a lot more like me than my wife. She was a tad overweight and bald. It was then that I identified with her more.

Yet, there are reports out there now that say she's pregnant again - three times - three futures - two different donors - tied to a Titanic like sinking of what is now a horrific career.

Perhaps Britney will snap out of it. After all, it's difficult to hurt inside for someone making and spending $700,000 a month, but there is a undeniable loneliness in watching what her life has become.

I remember talking to my father about Mickey Mantle. He said that when he closes his eyes he can still see Mantle hitting towering home runs, or racing around the bases. I never saw the Mick play - my most famous memory of him is seeing him tearfully tell the world that he was an alcoholic and an overall miserable guy - He said, "Don't let your kids grow up to be like me."

That's sad... it's sad that Britney fell so hard... and it's still real difficult to turn my eyes away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty