Higher Ground

Love the Springsteen song "Leah" from the Devils & Dust CD - In it - he speaks of a man who builds with one hand and destroys with the other. "A hammer and a fiery lantern."

The protagonist is searching to live his life on a higher ground - and in the end- he climbs the stairs - and feels as if he is almost there.

I've always admired people who can live in such a world. I have an old buddy who always seems to know when to reach out to those around them who are feeling pain. I particularly enjoy watching people who have an unshakeable faith - even if it is sometimes based on a shaky premise.

Whatever, I think that we all aspire to be the protagonist in the Springsteen song - much as Tony Soprano, we don't want to live in a world where we are damaging those around us - yet we do.

A lot of these thoughts came to light after I read about the horrific murders in Seattle of just about an entire family. CNN showed the terrible scene where the murders happened, and just before cutting to break, the anchor said, that there may have been a dispute about money.

Money? It's paper and ink. 6 lives lost over paper and ink. Crazy.

So, as the new year dawns, and in relation to the resolutions noted in my previous post, I wonder if it is possible to spend all of the days of '08 on higher ground.

I'm going to try and carry the hammer - to build - and leave the fiery lantern - to burn - in the garage - unlit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie