Christmas Spirit?

A lady in the car behind me laid on the horn the second after the light turned green - I didn't give her the finger - that's my Christmas spirit.

I just went through holy hell at the supermarket and a lady graciously allowed me to squeeze in front of her as we negotiated our way down a tight aisle - because an old man parked his cart off to one side - and perused the gravy choices from the other side. As I made my way through the tight space, the lady who allowed me to pass bashed me in the heels with her cart. I didn't beat either her or the old man with a gravy bottle - that's Christmas Spirit.

My wife is busy cleaning the house and wrapping gifts which leads me to prepare a pot of sauce, a turkey and a ham for the in-laws coming to dinner. As I'm doing this, I'm also starting the dishwasher, making lunch for the boys, and letting the dogs outside for a moment - my wife yells out - "Can you give me a hand for a second?" I don't commit a murder-suicide that will top the news - that's Christmas Spirit.

My boys sing Frosty the Snowman over and over until the lyrics of the song are threatening to become the start of my suicide note. I don't make them stop singing - that's Christmas Spirit.

Finally, I head to church and I have to fight for my regular seat because everyone and their brother is going to their one mass of the year. People are talking, children are crying, and it's hard to hear the priest, but deep down, it feels good to see the church filled to the rafters. That's Christmas Spirit.

Also, there will be a moment when one of my children shouts out in absolute glee as they open the present that they really, really wanted. (I thank my wife for doing all of the shopping) - when that child smiles - all of the other crap will have been worth it - that's Christmas Spirit.

Glad it only comes once a year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie