Choices

Life is about choices - speaking of which - I hate when people say, "You have two choices - you can stay or you can go."

Isn't that by definition just one choice? I really want input here - A choice is choosing between two things, right? I always hear that and it bugs the shit out of me. (Instant poll - is that one choice or two?)

Anyway, that wasn't what this post was about - I heard a beer commercial of all things that uses as its catchphrase that life is all about choices. I suppose that it is. When I was young and single, I lived in California, Maryland, and Connecticut. I enjoyed my time in all three places and it crossed my mind when I was there that perhaps I would stay - I didn't - I always returned to Buffalo, where I eventually met my wife, had my children, found my dogs, and wait each night to write my blog.

What would have happened had I made the other choice? What if I would have stayed when I wanted to go? What led me to the spot where I am right now - yep, choices. I've continually made choices, not quite knowing the ultimate consequence.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy where I sit, but sometimes I have to wonder what might have happened. If I had stayed in California for instance, perhaps I would have become a surfer dude with three blonde children and a wife with a year-long tan. Maybe my Maryland wife could have served me crab cakes and made me like the Orioles, (all right, that's a stretch).

It's just that you never know - around the next corner may lie the important choice that changes the direction of your life. I tell my friends to make your choice, and be happy with where you are. We do choose the life we lead.

The other morning, I woke my seven-year-old boy up for school and he groggily said, "This is stupid. Why do we have to go to work and school everyday?"

I told him that we didn't have to, but that choosing to work hard makes us better people. He said, "Can I stay home if I don't want to be better?"

I suppose he can make that choice. Yet, I honestly doubt he will.

Comments

di said…
We make choices each day in life.Hopefully, it's good.We can accept our situations as where we live,work,attend school,treat people,what foods we put into our mouths (healthy or fattening),the lists goes on.Cliff, your thoughts of a Common Man give us somethings to think about. We are here today and I chose to write my comments may it be right or wrong.

Di
yankeefan said…
what's wrong with a wife that is pasty white all year? I think you made the right choice and have the best wife ever!!! Besides, you would get tired of crab cakes.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie