What It Is

They were interviewing a baseball player during the inning of the Yankee game and as the reporters thanked him for his time he said:

“‘Preciate you.”

That’s one of the sayings that I’ve been hearing a lot.

“I appreciate you.”

People are saying it at stores and restaurants and as a way of saying goodbye, I guess.

The first couple of times I heard it I thought that it was a nice thing to say.

But as sayings go, they get worn out the more they’re said.

Got me thinking about some of the sayings that drive me crazy.

“You can’t have your cake and eat it too.”

Hate it!

What the hell else are you supposed to do with it? You can have it but you can’t eat it?

That saying has its origin back to like the 1920’s!

One that seems more recent, and is similarly aggravating, is:

“It is what it is.”

I know a few people who will say that thirty times in a five minute conversation. It’s usually said during a hopeless situation.

It doesn’t mean a damn thing!

A guy I know had his wife of like 20 years walk out the door.

“Sorry to hear about it,” I said.

“It is what it is.”

There’s no answering that.

Unbelievably that tracks all the way back to 1949 when a politician said it at a board meeting.

I hate all the corporate speak and buzzwords.

I know a guy who says:

“I understand that you have limited bandwidth right now.”

Meaning that I’m busy.

“Thinking outside the box.”

Makes me want to vomit.

That’s why I don’t do a whole lot of zoom calls or get in on conference calls.

It’s all buzzwords and sentences that don’t mean a damn thing.

Ah hell.

It is what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie