Happy Memorial Day!

 

I never even considered joining the military. In fact, I was a little mystified that men would go off and fight and die.

Maybe it was growing up during the Viet Nam War that made me question it all at such a young age, but the mere thought of fighting people I didn’t know in a faraway jungle just confused me.

But as I got older, I studied history a bit, and the photo above is the romanticized version of war.

That’s a great photo - a soldier returning home to greet a child.

The men and women who died in all the wars were doing it for the men fighting beside them and an abstract notion of country.

Our freedoms are worth fighting for.

We are grateful.

I went from confused to understanding back to confused again because there are internal threats to our freedoms now and they’re being sort of ignored.

As an adult, one other thing, the most aggravating thing to me is fake patriotism.

A guy hugging a flag, for instance, as he tramples what it stands for.

Those men fought for and died for all Americans.

Even the ones who don’t quite look like you.

Enjoy the day!

Say a prayer for the men and women who gave up their lives for freedom.

This can certainly still be an amazing place.

For all of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie