Gordon Lightfoot

Bob Dylan once said that he feels like he could listen to the Gordon Lightfoot song he’s listening to forever.

I find that to be true.

Don’t know many people who don’t sing along with Sundown, Carefree Highway or If You Could Read My Mind.

I love Gordon for sure and have a bunch of his songs on my devices. I own his CD’s and cassettes.

“Her name was Ann and I’ll be damned if I recall her face. She left me not knowing what to do.” 

I absolutely love that line.

Lightfoot was the mere definition of a singer-songwriter and when I heard that he passed away at 84, I was instantly saddened because we have lost a bunch of the guys that I’ve listened to for hours and hours and hours.

Ric Ocasek and Ben Orr from the Cars. 

Tom Petty.

David Bowie.

Eddie Money.

Even Prince.

And I think about the day when Frank Sinatra died. He was my Dad’s idol.

I remember asking Dad if he was sad.

“Of course,” he said. “I felt like I knew him.”

I certainly get that.

And thinking about Gordon Lightfoot, I thought about what Dylan said today when I was listening to “If You Could Read My Mind.”

The song was ending…

…I was singing along and dreading the end.

One of those songs that you could listen to all day long.

RIP to the amazing Canadian singer-songwriter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie