A Real Tin Cup

Michael Block played in the PGA Championship and he went 70-70-70-71.

He finished 15th.

Now, Block has made his money in golf as a club pro, but he captured a lot of imaginations over the weekend because he isn’t on the tour.

Golfers who play on the weekends were rooting for him because he kind of reminded the weekend warrior as one of us.

He did well in the interviews and man, he had some moments.

On Sunday he took his tee shot on 15 and literally dunked it for a hole in one.

It didn’t bounce and roll.

Freaking thing went from the face of his club directly to the bottom of the hole…

…which I find insane.

I’ve played golf for 42 years. Still don’t have an ace, although I’ve been close a number of times. The closest being less than an inch away.

Still irritates me.

All golfers dream about putting it all together during a round. We dream of doing what Michael Block did this past weekend.

It’s such a crazy game. My nephew made a startling revelation.

“When I’m playing golf, nothing else in the world matters,” he said. “I don’t think about anything else.”

On Sunday I was maddeningly inconsistent because I couldn’t hit an 8-iron all of a sudden.

Usually, my 8-iron is straight and true.

It probably will be fine the next time I play, and a different club will take the day off.

The worst of all possible holes on a course is when you travel 500 yards in two shots and it takes another 4 to go the final 10-20 yards.

I did that a couple of times on Sunday…

…watched Pops do it a half dozen times.

Michael Block had the weekend of a life, and when a seemingly normal golfer goes toe-to-toe with Tour professionals that’s the stuff of movies.

Now what to do with that 8-iron!

I have to play again in 5 days!

It’s all I can think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie