I Wish It Would Rain

In 1986 I lived in San Jose.

I was there for 8 months and it didn’t rain once!

Try that.

You will miss the rain.

Now, most of the time you pray that it doesn’t rain. We did that for our wedding day some 27 years ago. We even put rosary beads in the bushes.

(Don’t ask me why!)

There was a monsoon that day.

I never want it to rain from 8 a.m. until about 1 p.m. on Sunday during the summer so I can golf.

I must confess that my legs felt heavy all week long, and by Friday afternoon I was checking the weather for Saturday…

…hoping for rain.

I wanted off my feet and I didn’t want to be tempted to work around the house or mow the lawn.

It wasn’t raining early and I got a game in with Ollie, but then it got good and dark and the sound of the rain picked up my spirits.

That’s the thing about getting a little older.

You look forward to going to bed.

You almost dread phone calls that ask you to do something. 

I remember being a young man and getting a little irritated with my Dad because he never wanted to do anything.

Now I get it!

Later in the day, the sun came out, and I was able to toss the ball a few more times for Ollie.

The sun is going to shine all week long.

I’ll be out there, climbing ladders and scaffolds and mowing and throwing the ball.

And I’ll be keeping an eye out for another rainy day.

Our anniversary is coming up.

It rains every year!

I missed the rain when I was out in California…

…learned to appreciate it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie