We Are the World

I was listening to 80’s on 8 yesterday afternoon.

Alan Hunter talked about the USA for Africa movement and the song that brought all the musicians together to raise money for Africa.

‘We Are the World’ is a good song and I love it because I recall running home from a college class to watch the video.

1985.

I considered that we won’t see something like that ever happen again because people are too busy being selfish about every damn thing.

I got home and checked Twitter - there was a post about Ukraine and aid going there.

There was pure hate attached to the post.

People don’t feel that we should be helping anyone - ever.

Which is a huge change from how the world reacted back in ‘85.

We are in the midst of a budget fight that may end up in the U.S.A. defaulting on our debt.

That sounds lovely!

And it’s not even worth worrying about. It’s a huge political game.

They’ll reach a deal that destroys a lot of what means something to the people who get up and go to work every damn day.

“There’s a choice we’re making. We’re saving our own lives.”

I’m not sure if I’m an old, cynical guy, but it seems like a lot of the compassion and generosity of the 80’s is long gone.

Cynics are everywhere when it comes to charity.

Immigrants are escaping war-torn nations?

Who cares!

Ukraine?

That’s not my problem!

I wonder what sort of song would be sung now.

Not ‘We Are the World’.

More like:

“Sucks for You. What About Me?”

(And by the way, Bruce absolutely stole that song when he sang his verses).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie