Computer Rage

I use what the kids call a notebook to do my work every day.

I have a very specific procedure - using the notebook to take photos which I drag into documents that I leave on a flash drive.

When I return home, I put the flash drive into my PC and I write the reports very quickly.

Well, a couple of weeks ago the notebook wouldn’t turn on.

Easy enough.

Order a replacement.

The IT people couldn’t have been more accommodating but they had to add security to it in Chicago and then they sent it to Syracuse where more IT people worked on it.

Then they shipped it to me.

I opened it up and immediately lost it!

There was no port for a USB drive.

Called IT and they let me know that technology has passed me by a bit - there are more sophisticated USB drives now. 

I ordered the new version.

Tried the camera.

It wasn’t enabled!

Called the IT guy - took him a good hour, working on my computer over the phone. Got it running!

All set!

Headed to a site - took a number of photos, inserted the USB and got a warning::

“You don’t have access to this drive.”

Now it’s 5 p.m. on Friday night.

I called IT.

To make a long story short, USB drives are no longer allowed for security reasons. (The first guy told me where to buy one!).

“Okay, I said, just drag my documents onto the computer,” I said, after being on the phone for 4 hours. “At least I can work on them on the notebook.”

Tried to open one with him on the phone.

“You don’t have access to Microsoft Word,” the warning said.

(Up to that point I had been very patient - Kathy even complimented me on not going into a rage).

But enough is enough!

“You’re going to have to pick up this fight on Monday,” the IT guy said.

The problem being - by the time IT gets in on Monday I will have already made 3 visits.

“How do I do those visits?” I asked the poor computer dude. “Should I sketch what I see and write notes longhand on a yellow pad?”

He said:

“I don’t know.”

“This thing isn’t anything but a paperweight,” I told him.

He apologized.

Then said something that always makes me laugh:

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”

I was still laughing long after I hung up the phone.

Gonna’ be a long weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie