Columbo

So, life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.

John Lennon said that, and we know how it all worked out for him.

On Tuesday I was working on getting dinner ready as Kathy visited with my Mom.

She called.

‘Oh boy,’ I thought. She usually texts. We don’t chat much on the phone.

“I’m in the driveway,” she said, “But having trouble getting out of the car. I fell at the bank.”

I headed down, Sam beside me. The plan was to help her into the wheelchair, which wasn’t difficult, but she simply couldn’t move her left leg.

Two years ago she had her right hip replaced. I didn’t want to say anything, but I was thinking, ‘Time to do the left?’

“It’s just a bruise,” Kathy confidently said. “Let’s have dinner and I’ll rest for a minute.”

Half an hour later the EMT was here. Then two cops walked in.

“Tell me what happened?” He said to me.

I told him the story, and he moved a little closer.

“See, that doesn’t make sense,” he said. “She fell at the bank and made it all the way home and now she can’t move at all? You sure she didn’t fall here?”

I knew exactly where he was going with his line of questioning and it pissed me off.

“I was upstairs cooking dinner, Columbo,” I said. “Let’s just get her to the hospital.”

He took it better than I expected. Even smiled at the ‘Columbo’ reference.

Long story short:

We know how it will go.

We have the rehab dance down.

Life.

Man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie