Pops Beat Me

I knew I was in trouble on the first tee when I hammered my drive straight and down the middle and then Pops got up and hit his a little further.

By the 4th hole, everyone was landing second shots on the green and we all made our putts.

“We all parred it,” I said.

Then we all parred the next hole.

I checked the score on 8.

I was one ahead.

For the first time ever, I was on the fringe of the green in two on #9 but Pops second shot found the center of the green.

Took me 3 to get down. He made the birdie putt.

Down 1 with 9 holes to go!

I didn’t tell him.

Instead, I parred 10, 11, 12 & 13.

I rarely par 4 straight.

I had taken the lead back on 10 when Pops double bogeyed it, but he went par, par, birdie, par on 11-14.

It entered my mind on 14 that I could possibly par the entire back 9 and that’s the problem with golf!

I promptly double-bogeyed 3 straight!

Went to 18 believing I was down 1. Even used Pops sand wedge to put it on the green and then I made a 25-footer for par.

Pops would need to make the 10-footer to beat me by one.

He did!

Meanwhile, all three of us played pretty well.

The chunky (Josh Alleny) shots are gone.

We hit greens and made putts.

I broke the news as we were pulling away after 18.

“I might have to let you know about it during the week,” Pops said. “God knows you’ll keep it quiet.”

But I didn’t!

I wrote the blog.

Played well enough.

Got beat.

See you next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie