Jinkies

Woke up on Saturday morning thinking about cartoons.

Remember how they were the big deal when we were young? We didn't get much of a chance to see them during the week on the 3 channels we got with the antenna pulled way up and tin foil wrapped on the end.

Seriously.

Tell your spoiled-rotten-dopey-bastards about those times.

Yet we did get some classics.

Bugs Bunny was awesome.

When the Looney Tunes deal played it was all about waiting for Bugs, right? He'd just mow through whoever was in his way, chomping on the carrot and cracking wise.

Bugs was one of my first heroes.

I was also real partial to The Flintstones. The friendship between Fred and Barney was epic and even into my 20's I'd watch them. I had an apartment that was just around the corner from where I was working and on my lunch hour I'd head home and catch about 20 minutes of the Stones as I ate my sandwich.

But a true American classic was Scooby-Doo.

We all watched it, right?

What made me think of it on Saturday was I was rooting around for my phone on my dresser and I knocked my reading glasses to the floor. I turned to Melky and said:

"Jinkies, I lost my glasses,"

Velma said that on every episode.

Then I got to thinking about Fred and Daphne.

They had to be 'doing it', right?

Whenever they'd split up it was always Fred and Daphne running off together, and Scooby, Shaggy and Velma would be on their own. Velma losing her glasses. Shaggy looking for food, and Scooby along as the voice of reason.

The monsters were never real, but the talking dog was.

But you also had to love Shaggy. He was a useless, lazy guy, but he was loyal and funny, right?

And believe it or not, there were times when I felt bad for Velma.

She was ugly.

We all knew that.

Fred didn't care if she got hit by a bus.

But still she pressed on.

Searching for her glasses.

Trying to fit in.

Jinkies.

Indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie