I Took A Day Off...Almost

I really don't strive for perfect attendance at work.

It just sort of happens that way.

I'll begin the year thinking that I will take the vacation time granted me, but then I'll glance at the calendar in September and think:

"Damn! I missed it."

This year is a little different as I have an operation coming up.

(What's a year without a surgery?)

So, I sort of went at it hard, knowing that days at the end of the year would be needed.

Yet those aren't days off, you know?

So during the past weekend I tried to talk myself into just extending the weekend by a day. I wouldn't miss work. The phone would be on and I could hang by the computer, but I didn't need to rush out to visit locations, did I?

I discussed the matter with the boys.

"You'll go," Sam said. "There's something wrong with you."

And sure enough I was up and out of bed by five.

"What would I do if I stayed home?" I asked Melky.

"Let's go," she said.

So I went through the morning routine and headed out to a couple of jobs. I was still thinking about taking it a little easy, but I felt myself getting wound up a bit.

Then my tire light warning went on.

I pulled to the side of the road.

Evidently the warning light goes on just before the tire goes flat.

Damn!

Now where do I go?

I looked to my left, then looked to my right.

I was three feet from the entrance to a tire repair shop, and that was a good thing because my chance of successfully changing a tire is extremely remote.

I pulled in.

The guy rushed right out and looked at it.

"The sidewall is damaged," he said.

He might as well have been speaking Chinese.

"You need a new tire. I don't have one. I can put the spare on for $47 or I can overfill it and you can take it where you want to go. You'll get 15 miles out of it."

"Fill it, please."

I drove it to the place close to my house, left the keys there, and walked the short distance home.

Sometimes the universe takes care of things.

I actually just sat and waited.

A partial day off.

Inspired by a nail in a tire.

Comments

Terry said…
So you admit you had the day off and STILL no comment on Boston Strong?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie