Defending Jacob

The rusty wire that holds the gate that keeps the anger in, gives way, and suddenly, it's day again, - Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

First of all, Waters is a genius.

Secondly, I've been singing that phrase over and over in my head because I'm reading a book about a father, who's son, stands accused of murder. The Dad doesn't see the violence in his kid, of course, but worries about the fact that violence was handed down.

Years ago I read about Jeffrey Dahmer and his father said that he knew something like that might happen because he always believed there was violence in the family. Old man Dahmer said he had a dream that he was a murderer so he wasn't surprised that his son eventually got it done.

Weird.

Could that be true?

I know that my beautiful wife is leery of it in the Fazzolari blood.

Not that I'm violent, by any means, but once in awhile the rusty wire that holds the gate does give way.

My entire anger explosion lasts for about ten minutes.

Then I go quiet as I contemplate why I'm that dumb bastard emptying the dishwasher thirty times over the course of a two-day weekend.

I suppose there's better ways to communicate, but its fun every now and again.

Still.

There was always a vein of anger running through our family. I remember my grandfather being downright surly at times:

"LEAVE THE DOOR!! OPEN THE G*&^MN FLIES AIN'T BEEN OUT ALL DAY."

My father was certainly prone to bouts of sheer aggravation and could go at any moment.

Yet there's a fine line. The aggression can certainly be contained and used for good instead of evil.

Sometimes I wonder if the constant motion is a way to keep the gate from swinging wide open, but deep down, I know that there are a lot of people roaming the streets who don't have the capability of drawing it in.

Anywhoha...

Back to the book.

My wife actually picked it out for my birthday.

It's great because it preys on every fear a parent might have about raising a child who might eventually do something wrong. I always use this as a line in my talks:

"When my kids were born I contemplated the possibilities. They could be world leaders. They could be pro athletes...and now...after having met 'em...I'm just collecting bail money."

Yet my kids are good.

Sam doesn't have any flashes of anger. He's always bringing the sunshine and the energy...like his wonderful mother.

Jake can flip the switch, though, but he is using it for positive gain.

The 'Fazzolari energy', I call it.

Defending Jacob by William Landay.

Its worth the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie