What It Gives

February and March are tough months because I really get tired of the sound of my own voice. I do a lot of speaking during that time and while it gives me a chance to work out kinks in the stand-up routine, it becomes tiresome. I deliver the same punch lines over and over and talk through the same topics that I've been speaking about for twenty plus years.

I'm relieved when the sessions are off the calendar.

This year the last speaking session was on Friday...for a little while anyway. As I headed back from Syracuse early in the evening with a bunch of college basketball games and my boys waiting for me I knew I was in for an exciting weekend.

I would try and relax and just just let love give what it gives. My voice would be replaced by the voices of my boys.

When I hit the door Friday night Sam greeted me with his pools already circled in black and red. He was talking a mile-a-minute.

We sat together and watched the 7:30 game. We transitioned right into the 10 p.m. game. Jake was in and out of the room as well, following the action, busting on his brother, and listening to me say:

"Just take it down a notch."

"I'm gonna' be screaming all weekend," Sam warned.

My beautiful wife, you ask?

She watched a rented movie in her room alone.

On Saturday the games started at noon and ended at midnight. We didn't miss any of it.

For fun we also did a baseball fantasy draft that lasted four hours.

"What do you think?" Sam asked.

"That call is garbage!" he screamed.

"Your bracket is shot," he chided. (Hi Kim).

"Jake is winning again!"

"Duke sucks!"

"Syracuse sucks!"

"Villanova should've won!!"

I'm telling you. When he wasn't within three inches of my ear, he was coming around the corner screaming. When I went to sleep, I dreamed of his voice.

On Sunday night with a whole 'nother game starting and a 2nd baseball fantasy draft underway he stood at my right arm.

"Are you thinking of taking Jeter?" he asked.

He was still as fired up as he had been when I walked through the door on Friday night. I thought about asking him to go downstairs for just a few minutes so that I could at least pretend to think straight.

I looked straight into his eyes. They were dancing with the possibilities of who to take with my next draft pick.

Let love give what it gives.

Sam left the room for just a moment. I popped in to check on Kathy.

"You wanted boys," she said.

They'd left her to rest all weekend.

Twenty years from now I'd miss every word that came out of any of their mouths.

I'd do anything to hear their young voices again.

"Sam!" I yelled. "I took Jeter!"

"Yes!" He called back.

He voiced his approval.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie