Purple Drank

Turns out I don't know a whole lot about Lil' Wayne.

A few years ago my kids mentioned that he was the true music superstar and that thirty years from now people would mention him in higher acclaim than Springsteen.

Than he went to jail and was sort of out of the loop as Bruce toured the world.

I must admit that I dismissed the guy as an idiot.

Perhaps I was being closed-minded, and out of touch with the young folk.

As the reports started fluttering in that the Weezer was in bad shape, and perhaps even dying, I looked up the reasons why a 30-year old guy might find him in such rough shape.

I'd never heard of Sizzrup.



Yet who am I to judge just based on a photo? Or the fact that I'd never tried the syrup mix that mixes codeine-laced cough syrup with Sprite and Jolly Ranchers.

Who ever heard of such a thing?

Twitter was blowing up. People were telling me about his art.

"Lil' Wayne is dying," I told Jake when he entered the room.

His face changed expression. I saw genuine hurt.

What was I missing?

I looked up a few lyrics.

Here's my favorite. I blocked out a few of the letters where the bad words are, but you will most likely still grasp the poetry.

Uh, I got Young Money up, and now I got my feet up
Tune in this b*tch tell my niggas throw them B’s up
Doing what the f*ck I want, hate me all the f*ck you want
Real niggas f*ck with me and I don’t give a f*ck who don’t
Lock the CEO up, and I’m the CEO f*ck
Prison in February and I ain’t in no rush
Drink till I throw up, nigga roll more blunts
Ball so hard man I got to go pro once
Hit them with the shot gun, call that s*it the stop button
Call me Doctor Carter, AKA young wild nigga
AKA no trial nigga, AK click clack bawl nigga
Fu*king with the kid and you’ll be missing like Bilal nigga
Yeah haha, swagger stupid
Pack a Uzi, hundred clips nigga
That’s a movie, aim at your toupee
You sweet as Kool-Aid, crème Brule
I’m sharp as blue-ray, I f*ck her today
Then she got to skate, Young Lupe
I hit the beat hard, Bobby Boucher
I keep them tools on me, get the screw face


Bruce's legacy might be safe.

Yet as is sometimes done on Twitter the truth had been stretched a bit.

Twenty minutes later I read a feed from the legend himself.

He was doing okay.

Just had to rid his body of some of his syrup.

"It's not true," another old fogey texted me. "Lil' Wayne is okay."

"Oh Thank the Lord," I responded.

How would the world survive without such a poet and musical genius?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie