Them's the Breaks

The 27-Time World Champion Greatest Team in the History of Organized Sports the New York Freaking Yankees are off to a rough start this spring.

A-Dork is out until June. Tex and Grandy both pulled up lame. The GM jumped out of a plane and broke his leg. The little Steinbrenners are talking fiscal responsibility.

But I refuse to budge.

Certainly the hard times are in clear focus, but I have faith.

For a few reasons.

1). Derek Jeter.

He's a superstar. He is the epitome of a guy who doesn't know what 'can't' means. He broke his ankle in October. He said that day. 'See you on Opening Day.'

Doubt him all you want.

He'll be batting lead-off against the Suck Sox.

I expect a single to right.

2). Mariano & Andy & Ichiro

All true pros. This team will not suffer, truly suffer, until guys like the three mentioned above are gone. They aren't there yet.

Old guys can still hit and pitch too.

And there's a lesson to be learned in all of it. My boy, Sam, the only truly sensible one - because he's a fan of the 27-Time World Champion Greatest Team in the History of Organized Sports - appears to be a little nervous.

"We'll weather the storm," Jeter said.

He was letting us know that everyone struggles. That life doesn't always go swimmingly. That it wasn't time to fold up the tent. They'd get in there and take their swings.

On my 30th birthday my sister Corinne sent me a photo of a man swinging a bat. The ball was just at the edge of the bat, preparing to make perfect contact.

Every strike brings me closer to my next home run, the caption said.

Who said it, you ask?

The Babe.

He struck out a lot, but he hit 714 home runs back when the illegal substances were the hot dogs he ate in the 4th inning of each game.

That's still my favorite baseball story.

He had two hot dogs delivered to him in the dugout each game.

The Babe.

He played on The 27-Time World Champion Greatest Team in the History of Organized Sports.

They are taking strikes.

But don't get too excited yet.

I wanna' be writing 28 next year.

For all the dopey bastards who doubt them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie