The Natives Are Restless

Every three years here in Buffalo we start chanting for the people who run the Bills organization to start firing people.

Today on the job sites I gathered the following evidence.

We want the head coach gone.

We want the GM gone.

We want the quarterback gone.

Hell, we even want the owner real, real real gone.

And then I heard it.

"Sorry to say but we need the team to just leave," one guy said. "Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith were a long time ago. We can't keep up any which way and we can't afford them anymore."

Perhaps it was just sour grapes from a 13th consecutive season down the drain.

Maybe it's the fact that hope seems to be fading for a quick turn-around.

"This is our rebuilding century," another guy said. "Personally I've had enough."

The next shot came from the third guy sitting around the coffee truck:

"I paid my money for season tickets - they ain't cheap," he said. "I re-upped when they took one home game and gave it to Toronto. I re-upped even after the last few years when I couldn't give away the last two games of the year and I didn't want to sit in the cold and watch a losing team. I re-upped because they promised this year would be different. Now I'm gonna' eat the last three sets of tickets for this year - I'm done."

I didn't say a whole lot.

I thought of Sam in his Spiller uniform yesterday when the Bills were on offense. He may even have been switching to a different uniform when they were playing D.

I thought about how excited I'd been back 20 years ago.

But that was a long time ago.

What are the answers?

How do the Cubs fans do it decade after decade?

"Ah well," one guy said. "We might not ever see the playoffs again, but at least we live in a city where there is great leadership, plenty of jobs and perfect weather."

Everyone else laughed.

"We used to at least have the Sabres," another guy finally said. "It's all just so depressing."

I told you:

The natives are restless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie