Going Home

Now that the election year is behind us it sort of struck me how odd the entire process is.

Not for the winner, mind you, but for the loser.

I only ran for one office in my life. As a senior in high school I ran for the office of secretary. Don't ask me why I did it. I honestly wish that I hadn't.

Not that I lost, mind you, but because I won.

You see, I had no business running for the office. Four of us guys did it for a joke. We wanted to be the first ones called for graduation. We would have the honor of sitting up front and having our names announced.

The problem being that the girl that had held the position of secretary from kindergarten through junior year had always ran unopposed.

And she should have.

She was great at being the class secretary.

I beat her pretty well in the popular vote.

The electoral college didn't save her.

And do want to know the real tragedy of the story?

She did all the secretarial work for the class during the course of our senior year.

I didn't even attend one meeting.

Yet, if you look at the senior class photos, stupid me is sitting right there up front.

(Sorry Kristine).

Anywho-ha...

What about the poor bastards who have to go home after losing a national election? There has to be severe depression, right?

Especially for those who got absolutely trounced.

"You ran a great race," they probably heard a lot of times today.

"The people are %$&ed in the head."

"You should run again!"

"I voted for you!!"

In the end, the fact that you lost to a guy who is more popular has to sting...no matter how you process the loss.

I will never run again, for anything and that is fortunate for all my people out there.

Yet I'm 1 and 0 and I was the 4th person to get my diploma.

Wish I could say it changed my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie