More Than Expected

I forget which candidate was saying that corporations aren't people and which one was saying that they are.

It was sort of a stupid argument anyway.

Yet through the years I have operated on a simple basic philosophy and it has served me well through the years. It was one of my Dad's commandments:

When someone gives you a job to do; do more than what they expect.

I think of that all the time. I tell the kids to do the same.

"If I ask you to clean your room, make me smile when I come in to check out how you did."

It doesn't always work.

Yet there are so many days when things get pushed together and every once in awhile we get caught up in our own thoughts.

Life is unutterably weary and tiresome and there are moments when we start to think less about the job that we are asked to do and more about:

"Man, I'm busting my ass here and no one is telling me how good it's going."

And that's when places of business feel less like people and more like corporations and when there is a disconnect, people slip through the cracks.

I once worked for a guy who was perpetually angry. He had a hundred people that worked for him and he interacted with them in anger and mistrust.

Everyone hated that bastard.

The company didn't survive.

Fortunately I work for people who are less miserable now. They make me feel like working for them by simply allowing me the time and space to do what I do.

Yet, there are days, in my position, when my own aggravations seep into the things that I'm tasked to do.

It's Thanksgiving week.

The holidays are heading into clear view. I saw a Christmas list floating around the kitchen counter the other day.

What we want.

Sometimes it is so much less about what we want or need, and much more about doing...

...more than what's expected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie