Sad Story

I lived in West Haven, Connecticut for a year.

It's a funny story, actually. My Dad was running a job out there. A big job with a lot of responsibility. I had just finished college and was a real rising star in the offices of the construction trailer. I was one of the first guys in the industry who could turn on a computer and it really helped those in charge to document the progress of the jobs.

Dad got me a job. We worked together for two weeks. Then he broke the news to me.

"I got a better offer back in Buffalo," he said.

Two weeks later he was gone. I stayed on in Connecticut.

"If you wanted me out of the house you could've just told me," I said at the time.

"You'll be all right," he said.

And I was. I really enjoyed my time on the job there. I sort of enjoyed the Connecticut area. I'd drive down to Danbury or New York City or New Fairfield. I was young and dumb. I went everywhere, drank a lot, and laughed a lot.

I thought of New Fairfield today because there was a shooting there.

Big deal, right? There's a shooting everywhere, every night.

But this was a real beauty. You'd have to be heartless not to let this one get in.

A man fatally shot a masked teenager in self-defense outside his neighbor's house during what appeared to be an attempted late-night burglary, and then discovered it was his son, state police said.

Quick recap.

Woman believes someone is breaking into her house so she calls her neighbor. Guy goes outside and finds the kid dressed up like a burglar. The kid has something shiny in his hand. The guy shoots him, rips off the mask and sees his own kid's lifeless face.

That's a sad story.

Yet what gets me about such stories are the comments attached. You wanna' get sick head to the comment section of any of these types of stories.

The kid deserved what he got.

I guess that little joke backfired!

We all have the right to bear arms. He shot his kid, but next time it might be a real criminal.

The back story talks of the kid playing video games with a friend up until just a few minutes before the fatal encounter. By all accounts, he was a good kid. He had never been in trouble. Maybe he was playing a game. Perhaps he was just being a kid. Maybe he was up to no good.

I just don't know, but I have three young boys.

That's all I need to say.

I have three young, goofy boys. They joke around with their friends. They play video games.

Somewhere, somehow they will eventually walk around a neighborhood acting goofy.

We all did.

Remember throwing eggs at a house?

I don't know. I just don't.

No way to make sense of such a horrific story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie