Blindness

There was an earthquake in Canada over the weekend.

There was an earthquake in Southern California just a few hours later.

Hurricane Sandy was threatening us all and when it hit...

...there was just a feeling of helplessness.

And it brings to mind the delicate balance and the thought that life is so fragile.

On Sunday morning I went to church alone. I have taken to going there by myself over the past few months because that hour is a solitary event.

I don't sing much. I sort of cringe when it's time to shake hands because I hate touching strangers.

The priest spoke of blindness as the gospel was about a blind man screaming to Jesus for relief from his life.

I considered the blindness that affects us all from time-to-time.

We are blind in our dealings with others when we lose patience with those that we love. Our eyes grow blind and our blood runs cold when we get over-tired or over-exerted, or over-sensitive.

And the blindness leaves us groping for answers.

We're very often left to search through the debris that those moments of blindness leaves behind.

"One of the things to remember when we sit in darkness and suffer through the rain storms is that the sun will shine again soon. That's where the faith and hope come in. We know we can sustain because we have seen the sunny days."

As I watched the water slam through the towns on the East Coast and as the clouds gathered and hung what seemed like just inches off the ground, I listened to the weathermen and women screaming words of caution.

I thought of all the storms in my own life and the temporary blindness that seemed might never clear. I doubted that I'd ever see clearly again.

And the blindness comes.

And the blindness goes.

But there is still hope.

Time will take the pressure off.

"There are those who are stricken with blindness in their lives," the priest said. "And some of those people never see clearly again because they lose track of hope in their hearts."

There are way too many people that suffer through that affliction.

In the eye of the storm...

...here's hoping you're seeing things clearly.

At the sign of peace the men in front and behind me extended their hands.

I didn't feign a cold.

For the first time in a few weeks, I shook every hand sent my way.

Comments

Wow. The priest is wise.

Blindness still comes once in awhile, but love endures. No doubt.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie