Just Let 'Em Go

In recent days there has been a story making the rounds about a girl who wants to go to her prom - with another girl. The young lady is fighting hard to allow her same-sex partner the rights the other children have in getting ready for the big day.

Believe it or not, I was able to finagle a date for each of my proms back in high school. I was thrilled to go too, enjoying all the perks of being a grown-up. I recall being nervous meeting the girls parents as well as being extremely afraid of how my father might act. I made it through each time.

During the prom, I acted like a gentleman, wore a flower pinned to my chest, stood proud for the photos, and danced like a mentally-challenged chimp to the collection of Air Supply songs being played. The prom was good for my self-respect, offered me confidence, and I was happy to accept a couple of kisses on the cheek for my hundreds of dollars of investment. I did not develop a long-term relationship with either of my dates, but I grew from there.

That's all a prom is - a chance for the kids to go out and act like adults. They don't have to partake in all of the acts of an adult, they can just play pretend.

And now this - gays want to go with their partners. The adults in the crowd don't know what to do with such a dilemma.

Just let 'em go.

There are lawyers involved now. The two girls involved feel like they are working on liberating the world for gays everywhere. Their faces are on CNN and the Net. They are being ridiculed, signalled out, and mocked.

I guess I don't get it. Wasn't it just last century when we did the same thing to women, blacks, and a variety of other minorities? Who is right and who is wrong on all of these issues? Who can say for sure?

Who or what or why you are gay isn't of great concern to me. If you choose to live your life dressed in a burlap bag with red and green hair, it shouldn't affect me personally, right?

I know that from time to time I may seem to pass judgement in the writing of this blog - sometimes it is for comical purposes and other times I'm just not thinking straight, but despite my hundreds and hundreds of opinions, I don't figure that I have everything figured out. I'm just a slob trying to make do like everyone else.

I just know when a situation should be diffused quickly. If the school had allowed the two to attend the prom they most likely would have suffered through the awkward night like the rest of us. They may have gleamed a bit of self-confidence, shared a few laughs, and strengthened their lives for years to come. The slow songs would have been played (they still don't play Air Supply do they?)some kids would've snuck booze in, others would've pledged their eternal love...and the night would have ended harmlessly, hopefully, and everyone would've moved on.

Now there's hate in that school and town. People pass judgement, and take the high moral ground. The girls are most likely devastated, and why? Does this town think that their stand will end homosexuality?

Sometimes the kids are smarter than the adults.

(How's that for passing judgement?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty