Going Along with the Crowd

Went to the NCAA games yesterday here in lovely Buffalo, and it was a first-rate event. Saw Syracuse rock Gonzaga to keep the dream alive, and sort of marveled at the crowd watching the game.

The college atmosphere is crazy with fans seeming to be more impassioned than a pro crowd, and the people watching is fun.

First off, you have the fan who is ready to scream at anything. He'll shout out at the refs, a bad pass, a missed free throw. This sort of guy believes that no matter what his team will eventually fail, and that it is due to a conspiracy that has been elaborately designed to aggravate him.

"That's a foul!" this middle-aged man dressed in West Virginia garb screamed. There was no chance that the ref could hear him, but he shouted nonetheless.

"Jesus Christmas!" he shouted a little while later.

I actually laughed out loud at that one.

Then you have the guy who comes to the game for one reason only - to eat the over-priced food. I saw a man with nachos, two hot dogs, a slice of pizza, and a hat filled with ice cream. He was about the size of Gonzaga too, and it was all gone in a matter of minutes. (No, it wasn't me).

Finally you have the fan who's entire existence seems to rise and fall with the fortunes of the team. As the game wound down and Missouri missed free throw after free throw, there was a man in a Kansas City Royals hat holding his face in his hands, and rhythmically shaking his head 'no'.

I imagine that was a long-ass ride home.

I didn't do a lot of open rooting. I would like to see the 'Cuse do well, but mostly because I picked them in one of my brackets. I find it funny to analyze the emotional attachment of something that one has no control over. The sun will still come up if the team doesn't make it to the Sweet Sixteen, right?

Why would someone get so worked up over a game?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to begin my preparations for the upcoming season where the 27-Time World Champion Yankees will defend their crown.

Hey, I didn't say I was above the lunacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie