Bad Boys, Bad Boys

One of the benefits of having a sore back is that I get to lie around a bit. Who doesn't like being lazy from time-to-time?

I read a quote about John Mellencamp about the best thing about being rich and famous - he said he craved it because he gets a nap every day.

That certainly would be a benefit - that and the millions of dollars.

Yet I was laid up last night, Melky sharing the bed with me, the television on, and back-to-back episodes of Cops. Kathy even delivered a cold water to me after I cell-phoned down requesting it.

The second episode started with a cop explaining how he'd do his job for free, and that it was always exciting to be up and ready for what might come his way. Due to the miracle of television, ten seconds later he was on the ground wrestling with a real nasty looking guy over a crack pipe.

Not my idea of an exciting day, but thank God there are people willing to do that.

And I thought about my fascination with Cops and all the people they meet. Sometimes it's difficult to look at what happens night after night, day after day, week after week, and month after month. People just doing stupid, horrible things to one another. It makes you sick to watch, but it's tough to look away.

I find that I'm often rooting for the tazer. In fact, last night, the only words I spoke for a little while were, "Taze the bastard!"

There are also a great number of domestic battles - man beats wife, wife beats child, child beats dog, and on down the line.

And lies - God help me, the lies!

"What were you doing with a crack pipe in your pants?"

"These aren't my pants."

"They aren't your pants? You're wearing them!"

"Some guy snuck up behind me and put something in my pocket. I wasn't paying attention and I never looked at it."

"What did the guy look like?"

"He was tiny, and green, and he made funny noises as he flew away."

"You're under arrest."

"For what? I didn't do 'nuffin."

Pure entertainment, but as each half hour of the show passes, my heart aches a little.

All of it has become expected behavior in every city across this great land.

Whatcha' gonna' do when they come for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty