Bet, Bet, Bet, Bet, Bet

Remember the old Flinstones cartoon when Fred becomes addicted to gambling and Barney needs to keep him away from the horse races?

Perhaps I get too much of my understanding of life from Fred and Barney, but Fred is obsessed running around yelling, "Bet, bet, bet, bet, bet."

That's the way it seems around here on the first two days of the NCAA Tourney.

It was Jeff's tradition to choose names from a hat and while we canned the idea, we got back to it this year with Sam and Uncle Chuck joining the party. It's a pure luck situation, but we put a little money on it to make it interesting.

So we got that.

Then we have the brackets that everyone is involved in. Year after year I fill them damn things out with one thing in mind - what if I get them all right?

By the end of the second game I'm usually 0 and 2.

Yet it's great fun. The red and black ink is flying around as the games draw to a close, and having the boys involved has made it interesting.

"I'm circling Duke," Sam said as they were three minutes into their game and had a 12-6 lead.

"You can't circle them yet," I said. "The game just started."

"Like they're going to lose," he said.

Yet that's the thing about the tourney - anything might happen. And while I couldn't tell you ten players in the thing from 65 schools, I can tell you what I need to happen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds so I can take home the money prize.

Bet, bet, bet, bet, bet

Are we doing a disservice to the children by allowing them to wager a little at the age of 9?

Nah, it's my money and they don't get to keep their winnings.

Not that they're going to win anyway...

...this is all about my bracket...

... I'm going to kick their butts.

Comments

Larry L said…
Love it! By the way, I talked to Sandy last night and she is doing pretty.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie