Slow Train Coming

I received a Barnes & Noble Gift card for Christmas and I spent some time browsing through the books this morning, but as I walked by the music section something caught my eye. Right there, in front was a single copy of Bob Dylan's 1979 release Slow Train Coming.

When I was 15 years old I wore out that album, listening to it every day. A few years after that I got a cassette copy of it, and pretty much listened until that tape was useless. This morning, I finally got the CD.

I hadn't heard it in awhile, but quickly picked out my two favorite songs - Precious Angel and I Believe in You.

For the uninitiated, this was Dylan's Christian album. Yet it was still Dylan, the nasally whine and all. As a kid, I knew what he was singing of, but I didn't grasp it all. The nuns had made sure I understood some of it, but it was going to be different listening to it as an adult, wasn't it?

Precious angel, how was I to know you'd be the one - To show me I was blinded, to show me I was gone. How weak was the foundation, I was standing upon? You either got faith or you got unbelief and there ain't no neutral ground.

My attention was grabbed. Dylan sang on:

Shine your light, shine your light on me, shine your light...I just can't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see.

(By the way, I love singing like Dylan - ask me to do it sometime - it's easy).

Yet the real winner on the album, and the one lyric that will stick in my head until I get through the down times.

And I, I don't mind the pain, don't mind the driving rain, I know I will sustain, because I believe in you.

There's a slow train coming. All aboard.

Thirty years later, it's still brilliant.

Comments

CorLeone said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie