Why! Oh Why!

Back in 1992 I had a serious crush on someone. It wasn't a school kid crush, mind you, I was 28 years old!

What I was feeling was real, true love. My love was based on compassion, pity, and a little bit of physical lust.

I was seriously in love...with Nancy Kerrigan.

Yes, that Nancy Kerrigan. The skater who's knee was hammered by Tonya Harding. I must have been in love because it made me watch friggin' figure skating!

I was fired up for those Olympics. I had seen Nancy wail in pain - "Why! Oh Why!" - and it tore at my heart. I can still see her father carrying her off, her face a mask of pain and anguish.

"Why! Oh Why!"

A friend of mine knew about the crush - he spoiled the Olympics (which were on a tape delay) by telling me that Nancy won the Bronze and not the Gold. I was broken-hearted.

I made a bet with that same friend (a case of beer) that I could get Nancy's autograph.

I mailed photos to her town - with just her name on the front - Two weeks later - the envelope was returned to me - every photo was signed with a note that said, "Hi, Cliff!"

She loved me too! (And I got the case of beer to boot). (Still have the autographs too).

Last night news broke that Nancy's father died of a heart attack after fighting with Nancy's troubled brother.

My heart ached all over again.

"Why! Oh, Why!"

I feel especially bad for Nancy now, and the rest of her family too. That's a true shame, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie