Alas

I love that word, 'Alas'...

Alas, I knew that I couldn't spend '10 just lying 'neath the covers to study my pain.

The beep, beep, beep, beep of a neighbor's car alarm began at 4 AM. By 4:02 it was silenced, only to begin again by 4:03, and on and on it went.

Of course, going back to sleep is never an option for me, so I laid there waiting for it to start, then stop, then start again. It got to the point where I was trying to time it, and missing it when it didn't actually start when I thought it might. It's like the people who live near the airport and miss the sound of the planes rattling their windows.

And I thought of the myriad of the ways I could react. I could lie there and take it, or I could trudge down the stairs and out the front door and try to figure out who the hell was waking up the neighborhood. I thought of my father and a couple of my brothers who'd be willing to chase down the offender.

Beep, beep, beep.

I finally centered in on just opening my eyes - I could read a bit of the Stephen King book Under the Dome if I was up to lifting it off my dresser - 1100 pages - tough to hang onto.

Yet when I tried to open my eyes I realized that there was another problem - my left eye was watering and sort of throbbing. What the hell?

It had been an uneventful evening - a game of Flip Uno that nearly turned into a game of who wants to strangle Sam - and then a unmysterious 48 Hours Mystery who's end will never be seen.

I thought of pink eye, or a cold that starts in the eye. Bah!

After the shower, I'm feeling okay. The car alarm is still blasting every few moments, and it just occurred to me that maybe it's my car. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Alas, '10 probably won't pass problem free.

Comments

Larry L said…
That is exactly the way I am. If something wakes me up whether I have been sleeping one hour or eight I cannot go back to sleep. I hate that!
deafjeff said…
Chalk another one up to deafness. Not only does NOTHING wake me up, if for some reason something physical like a spouse or dog awakens me, my slothness kicks in and I'm asleep again in under 5 seconds. My wife often has to control her rage that I can be sound asleep before she gets under her blankets, and we went up the stairs together.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie