Opening Day

There is something special about opening day. I can certainly recall the events of at least ten of them, including listening to the radio for one in the mid-90's as I pretended to work. Thankfully, the Yanks weren't scheduled to open until 4:00 today so even with a regular workday I will be able to catch most of the game.

Of course, I'm anticipating it with a lump in my throat. I'm not quite sure how it'll work this year - I do have Sam to give updates, and perhaps some of my other Yankee buddies can jump up and send texts on the days when I can't be there to watch the game. The thing about it was that I always knew where my bro would be for the game - if he was working - I was on-duty to give updates - if I were working - he'd call anytime the score changed.

So, with all that in mind - a fellow Yankee fan called me today to give me a bit of encouragement. My long-time friend also shared feelings of grief and the best way to step around some of the shit I've been stepping in.

We talked about the inability to sleep through the night, the fact that God hadn't fully abandoned me or my family, how much beer can help on the really bad days, and why it will be all right, eventually to feel joy.

At the end of the conversation - on a dark, cold, rainy day - I felt much better about everything.

In fact, I thought of the fact that CC will be on the mound, and Big Tex has joined the lineup.

It will never be the same, but it might work.

The amusing distraction is back - just less a lot of amusement.

Thanks to my good friend for a little perspective.

Comments

Larry L said…
You have a good one in Tex. I wish he was still in Atlanta. I have been thinking of you today. I am watching the game now and you don't have much to cheer about in this one. YET!
Mary C said…
I am proud to have helped you yesterday. You are my good friend forever and you will always be in my thoughts. The Yankees struggled yesterday, but don't we all at times. They still RULE! I love you and your family and I will keep in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty