8-Minute Mile

One of the tough days in this little journey of grief. I started the day by listening to a motivational speaker - Chad Hymus - a great speaker and perhaps an even more courageous man. He broke his neck in an accident 8 years ago and now he goes around helping people see clear as to what's important. I wasn't crying because it hadn't dawned on me as to what was important, ah hell, you know.

Then I had a Bruce lyric stuck in my head, and not an uplifting one: Well now our truth lay shattered - I stood at world's end as the dead sun rose in view. Well if any of this matters - with a kiss my friend, let me show you what love can do.

Not the best thing to have swimming in your head when you're down. The dead sun rising into view kind of sets you off, but still... to endure.

I was desperate. I decided to exercise. I went to the YMCA with thoughts of an 8-minute mile running through my head.

I won't tell you what I clocked in at, suffice to say, I'm not 18. I sat in the whirlpool and started talking with a co-worker - he asked me how old I was getting to be. "44", I said. The kid sitting next to me said, "Hey, my dad is 44."

I got out of the pool. I got dressed feeling even more down, and headed to the parking lot. The emergency vehicles were taking up a whole lane. People were gathered and gawking as they tried to revive a man who I figured was about 44.

They weren't having a lot of luck. I said a prayer for the guy, his family, his brother or sister, and headed to my car, away from the scene.

The sky was bright blue and the sun was beginning its descent. The dead sun, my friend.

I headed back to the family with one thing on my mind - let's see what love can do.

Comments

Cliff - always a rough day with an 18 minute mile... read my blog from this morning; I had the song What Love Can Do beating in my eardrums when I wrote it... a bit different of a turn-out, but that's the beauty of Bruce. In case I haven't said it lately, I love you brother.
deafjeff said…
8 minute mile? Dude you couldn't do a 8 minute mile in a golf cart. Well your daily aspirations always seem to be the highlight of my day if that makes you feel any better. 8 minute mile...you kill me man.
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Thanks Pops for the laugh - and of course, I love you and Carrie - the comments on it made my day.
Larry L said…
I thought you or Carrie might comment today on the Bruce "Working on a Dream" tour. I am sure Carrie has no idea who I even am since she was about 5 last time I saw her. I have really enjoyed catching up with you. Your whole family is filled with love, it is easy to see.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie