Not Quite Ready

For years my Mom and Dad threw huge parties that included enough food for as many people who might show up…

…and people always showed up and ate really well.

Then it was my turn and the turn of my brothers and sisters. We followed the blueprint and when we threw a party there was always way too much food for all. I would encourage our guests to take a container or two home.

“We are invited to James house for dinner,” Kathy mentioned on Saturday morning.

“James is making dinner?” I asked.

“I guess. He asked if we’d bring a dessert.”

I thought about the passing of the torch. Our kids were now hosting parties?

We got there a little after the appointed time and I entered the kitchen. I saw a few containers of sauce on the counter. There was corn boiling in a pot.

James was emerging from the shower.

“We having corn for dinner?” I asked.

He laughed and pointed to the sauce and a few boxes of rigatoni.

“I haven’t started cooking yet,” he said. “Dad gave me sauce, and I have sausage that I’m gonna’ do on the grill.”

There were other guests arriving. James had to get in gear if he was going to serve dinner within the hour.

He was in some trouble!

I got to work, starting the sauce, putting on water to boil the pasta, putting the sausage on the grill, and trying to figure out how to keep the corn warm, as it was the one thing he could’ve waited to cook until last.

“My problem is I don’t have a pan big enough to hold the pasta and sauce.”

“Bah!”

I placed the sausage on the grill, cutting it so it would cook quickly, and then I headed to my house to pick up the roaster. Just moments after leaving I called James and said, “Keep an eye on the sausage.”

“On it!”

I returned just ten minutes later to find a plate on the counter overfilled with completely destroyed Italian sausage. The links looked like charcoal bricks.

The pasta was boiling over.

I spotted my sister Corinne. She was working on chicken and a huge pan of potatoes.

I’m not sure where James even was, but within 20 minutes, I called everyone to let them know it was time to eat.

Everything was great (with the exception of the sausage, of course).

I filled a plate and turned to see that James was seated beside me, his plate packed with food that we’d prepared for him.

“Great job with the sauce,” I said.

He laughed.

“I guess I needed a little help,” James said.

“You’ll get there,” I said. “It ain’t easy. You gotta’ do a little prep before the party actually starts.”

“Duly noted.”

Not quite sure the kids are ready for prime time.

On the way home, Kathy said:

“That was fun.”

“Yeah. I got to cook in a different kitchen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie