No One is to Blame

Music might be the closest thing we have to time travel.

I was heading from work on Friday and flipped to The Bridge on Sirius to catch the song, “No One is to Blame” by Howard Jones.

It’s a song that doesn’t really fit into my catalogue but it’s a catchy song that made me travel back in time to a long plane ride from Buffalo to San Francisco.

I’d just graduated college and was intending to visit Dad for a month or so before Mom and the rest of the family headed out for the summer.

I needed a rest, and to try and figure out what I’d do with the rest of my life.

Mostly, I was just tired of going to college parties and living that life. California sounded like a good idea.

But man, that’s a long plane ride, and I didn’t have much by way of entertainment. I plugged in my headphones and linked in to the airlines radio station - it consisted of 8 songs that played over and over.

Howard Jones’ song was one of the 8 songs and by the time the plane landed, I loved the tune.

Still do.

I played it a couple of times yesterday and considered that plane ride and my vacation after college that stretched to 8 months and had me working construction again.

I was just 21 years old when I took that plane ride, and I thought about what that kid would’ve thought about how everything played out.

No one….ever is to blame.

Good tune.

Great memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie