Barbie

We saw the first add for the ‘Barbie’ movie, and we simply laughed.

“That looks horrendous,” Kathy said. “Course it’s Ryan Gosling.”

And the media blitz set off another culture war as a segment of the population went off on the movie having hidden ‘woke’ messages which is absolutely ridiculous, of course, but whatever.

I had two sisters.

There were Barbie and Ken figures in our home. I’m old enough to remember when it was a craze.

It was a doll.

We did all the usual things, taking the heads off the dolls and making the switch. We left Barbie naked and in compromising conditions with Ken for my sisters to find.

All great fun.

“We’re going to see ‘Barbie’,” Jake texted me yesterday morning.

I knew that his review would be coming in about three minutes after the movie ended.

“It’s unlike any movie I’ve ever seen,” were his first words on the subject.

“Was it good?”

“A 9.5 out of 10,” Jake answered quickly. “I laughed all the way through. Ryan Gosling had me crying laughing.”

About what I expected as the reviews have said as much.

“It’s such a good time.”

And meanwhile, there’s an entire media blitz surrounding the goofy ‘woke’ argument.

I watched a host of a podcast show throw about 30 Barbie and Ken figures into a shopping cart and strike a match to set them all aflame.

“We can’t let this movie gain a foothold!” The guy screamed. “It’s ruining our society.”

It’s a movie that makes people laugh.

How can that be bad?

Barbie and Ken.

Still together after all these years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie