Bags Packed


Mark Knopfler addressed the above question in one of his songs. He wrote:

“I got my bags packed to go either way.”

And I see these signs every so often and it makes me thinks of the nuns who scared the Bejebus out of me with the threat of hell.

Recently I’ve been thinking that the fiery furnaces of hell might not be factually correct.

Why would Satan be a punishing host?

Your presence there would be good news for Satan, right? Why would he burn you?

Yet, there are certainly people who are eternally worried about where they’re going to spend eternity.

Couple of thoughts:

1). If we all go at once in a catastrophic event there are going to be huge lines to go either way. Think of it, even if you get judged in just a couple of minutes there are billions of people.

I hate waiting in line.

2). Will they grade on a curve?

Back in high school days there was always one really smart kid who destroyed the curve for the rest of us.

Hopefully that won’t be the case and a 65% will be a passing grade, otherwise, the line to go down will be ridiculous, and I hate lines.

3). Will St. Peter be the dude who breaks the news?

Given all the hate and rage that I read about on a daily basis, St. Peter might be well-served with a body guard. There are people down here who try and kill the guy at the drive-thru for putting pickles on a burger.

4). Where did those nuns go?

I had a lot of nuns who beat me like a drum. Did they get points off for that capital punishment?

Wouldn’t it be ironic if I ran into one of them down below if the curve isn’t in place?

5). Zero fear

I considered something the other day when thinking about the Heaven or hell scenario.

What about the people who aren’t concerned with it at all?

If there’s no fear what is to stop someone from doing any and all sorts of damage here?

“Do you swear to God?” They ask criminals in court on a murder charge.

“I do.”

I’m thinking that if you’re capable of murder, you really don’t put a whole lot of thought into alienating a God that you don’t truly believe in.

All complicated questions for sure.

Heaven or Hell?

Knopfler had it right…

…better pack two bags.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie