A Weird Day


Sometimes you can do everything right and things just don’t work out.

We’ve had a regular foursome for the past ten years and we are all aware of how we all play week-to-week. Most times we can pick the scores in the parking lot before the round and then go out and get those exact scores.

Yesterday was weird.

I left at least six putts within an inch of the hole. They wouldn’t drop.

I hit chip shots exactly where I wanted to, and they bounced the other way.

Came close to throwing a club (haven’t done that in pure anger in years) just to get it out of my hands.

Not that any of us played horribly, but, the ball didn’t seem to cooperate.

On the 8th hole, Pops had a chip shot onto the green. It went awry and wound up ON THE FLOOR of the cart I had just parked beside the green.

“Tough lie,” I said, as I walked on by.

As we approached the 16th hole - a 150 yard par 3 - I said:

“Why doesn’t one of us hit a hole in one here so we remember this non-descript round?”

I went first and the ball headed in the direction of the pin, but pulled up 10’ short of the green.

John went next and was pin high but off the left side. His cart partner, Pops, hit what looked to be the same exact shot as John.

That’s where their balls ended up!

They were touching.

Tell me, what are the odds of that happening?

I’ve played golf for 44 years. I’ve never seen anything like that.

Two men, two swings, 150 yards to cover and they end up touching on the fairway?

The best part?

All four of us were putting for par on that green…

…we all bogied the hole because we each missed the par putt by less than an inch.

One after another, the ball rolled away from the hole as if it were allergic to it.

“What a strange day,” Scott said, as we drove to the next tee.

“The golf gods had a sense of humor today,” I said.

Non-descript round?

Maybe not!

It will be remembered as the day John and Pops ball kissed in the fringe, and Pops chipped into our cart.

Won’t see that every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie