Divorce is Expensive

The standard line when speaking to a newly divorced guy is that he will mention:

“You know why divorce is so expensive?”

“Because it’s worth it!”

Well, Kevin Costner, who didn’t even want a divorce, was just ordered to pay his wife $129,000 a month!

He actually won the battle!

His estranged wife wanted more than $300,000 a month - allegedly - and she had to be court-ordered out of his house - which was part of the pre-nup because during his first divorce he got bounced and didn’t have a place to live.

I learned long ago not to comment on other people’s relationships.

Way back in high school a buddy of mine broke up with his girlfriend and as we shared a few beers I explained that she was a loser who I never really liked.

He was back with her two days later and he never talked much about her again.

So, deal with your crap. I won’t comment. When someone complains about their wife I often say one of two things:

1). I have one too.

Or

2). Why you telling me? I thought O.J. and Nicole were cute together.

But, more than a million and a half a year just to make peace so that she can continue to live the life she’d grown accustomed to?

I also think of Howard Stern who spoke about having to give up a large portion of his fortune because his former wife supported him as he made boatloads of money.

“She was getting her nails done! We had a maid, a gardener, and a full time masseuse. She slept in every day.”

But there is always a temptation to look in on people who go off on social media as they are having problems.

A couple of months ago I was riveted to one woman’s account as she went off on her cheating spouse.

Eventually the guy jumped in and answered her.

On Facebook!

For all their friends to see.

It was great fun watching the more than 15 year marriage unravel and I was a tad astonished at my interest.

Kevin Costner will be all right.

He’s a huge star and $129 grand a month won’t break him.

His ex certainly cashed in…

…and thank God she won’t lose her masseuse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie