“God Spoke to Me”

There is no shortage of people out there who have claimed that God came to them in a dream, or while they were driving their car, or when they were drunk off their ass.

God.

Himself.

Came down and spoke to them.

I am always a tad skeptical and when someone says it to me (I have had a few people through the years make this claim) I have a standard answer:

“How come God only speaks to lunatics,” I will say.

Yet, like finding the image of Mother Mary in a potato chip bag…

…or seeing Jesus in the clouds…

…I just wonder.

And man, I was exposed to a whole lot of religion as I grew up.

I have always considered religion for people to be like having ten people looking at a camp fire.

It’s the same fire, but every person sees something different, and I think it should stay private.

Imagine sitting around the fire and having the guy sitting next to you tell you how he’s seeing it more clearly than you are?

There’s a great line in an old Dire Straits song and Knopfler sings:

“Two men claim that they’re Jesus. One of them is wrong.”

What is even more annoying to me are the people who claim that we are at the end of time because their interpretation of the Bible tells them so.

Saw a homeless guy in NYC once. He preached to me.

“Read Revelations! It’s all coming true! God is going to come down and take all those who believe back to heaven with Him. Everyone else is going to spend eternity in the fires of hell. Will you be saved?”

He was carrying a huge piece of cardboard with Bible verses written all over it.

Of course, I didn’t engage, but I walked away thinking:

“God is going to come down and save you and send me to a fiery eternity?”

Here’s the deal:

Nobody knows a freaking thing about the afterlife!

God hasn’t spoken to any of you.

What you believe is what you believe and there probably isn’t anyone anywhere who sees it the exact same way…

…so enjoy.

Worry about God coming down and choosing you if that’s what you believe.

Stare into the fire as long as you want…

…just don’t explain what you believe to me.

For centuries people have been claiming that it was all coming to an end soon.

Some day it may all come true.

But man, you must truly think your special if you believe that God chose YOU.

He didn’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie