Dynamic Pricing

I stopped at my usual hotel in Syracuse - I’ve been going there for 30+ years, and am a platinum member, which gets me a 12-ounce bottle of warm water when I check in…

…if the clerk remembers to give it to me.

Once in a blue moon there will be quarter shaped chocolate chip cookies up there.

I usually pay roughly $100 a night.

On Friday, I stepped up and the very pleasant young girl behind the counter asked if I wanted a king or queen bed.

“Doesn’t matter.”

“If you go with the queen it’s $10 less,” she said.

“Let’s do that.”

“Okay, but I have to tell you that the rate is $179.”

“What?”

“I know.”

“Why?”

“We have an algorithm that prices our rooms based on demand,” she said.

“There are four cars in the parking lot,” I said.

She shrugged.

“That’s the rate.”

I stood there.

Dumbfounded.

Now, of course, it was a work-related visit and I would be reimbursed, but that’s not the point.

Still, it was also late in the day and I’m not one for change.

“I guess there isn’t much choice,” I said. “This isn’t the Ritz-Carlton, you know.”

“I know. I’m sorry,” she said. “I had to tell you the rate up front.” Then she whispered. “It’s crazy.”

I reluctantly took my card out and nearly swiped it, but on top of the screen I saw what was actually being charged.

$254.50

“What the hell is that?” I asked.

“There’s a $75 hold on your card for incidentals. You’ll get that back in 3-5 days.”

“No I won’t,” I said.

“I don’t understand,” she said.

“I’m not paying $255 to stay here. I’ll sleep in my car first.”

She was back to whispering.

“I TOTALLY understand. This dynamic pricing is insane.”

I left the place and drove around for a little while looking for the dumpiest hotel I could find!

I still paid more than $125, and it WAS a dump.

Dynamic pricing? Even for dumps?

They’re doing it with cars and concert tickets and freaking groceries.

It’s horseshit.

Algorithm this!

All the corporations are screaming about how they need to make the Covid money back…

…after they all got money in the form of loans that they never paid back.

Now they’re sucking out everyone’s eyeballs???

Dynamic Robbery.

Garbage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie