Welcome to the Lions, Johnny!


One of the true loves of my childhood...and let's be honest here...young adult...adult and just about middle age...was my association with the Lions.

The Lions were a softball team, of course, but we are also a great group of friends...and putting on a Lions jacket must feel a whole lot like it feels to put on the Yankee pinstripes.

Love.

Tradition.

Legacy.

And Winning.

Guys who are Lions greet one another differently, even after all these years. The team was started during the camping days and the first time we played ball together we used a tennis ball...and we all chose sticks that we'd use as bats.

I'm not kidding.

We weren't poor...we just didn't have our equipment with us...but we wanted to play!

So we improvised.

I must have been about 13 when we played that first game...but I remember the first pitch, (Henry Paul was the batter), like it was yesterday.

And the Lions stuck together, playing for a lot of years.

We finally won the league championship in 1995.

19 years of not winning!

We were all thrilled.

I remember turning to my Mom, who was in the stands wearing a Lions jacket (much like the one Johnny is wearing in the photo) and I said:

"We did it!!!"

Mom said:

"It's about time."

Of course...it meant so much...because of the love.

I recall the celebrations (we won again in '96)...

My brother Jeff got a bunch of hits in the clinching game (I still have the score book) and I just hurt when I think of how happy he was. Those moments are what needs to be cherished...and they are!!!

To Johnny:

Your Dad was a good player! He'd misjudge a fly ball now and again...but he could hit...and he made all of us laugh...every single day...every game!

I know the guys on the Lions.

I know they are all smiling as they see Johnny wearing Jeff's coat.

I don't have to ask for a vote...

...Johnny is on the team!

Welcome to the Lions, buddy!

We love you!

Comments

John said…
I'll start the voting, "Aye"

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie