Childhood Living

Childhood Living Is Easy to Do...

My boys were playing the other evening.

We weren't exactly sure what was going on...a little wrestling, for sure...a whole bunch of laughing.

The laughter was like music to me and it made me think of so many things about life.

"What's going on?" My beautiful wife asked.

"Hee-Hee and Haw-Haw," I said.

Just two brothers getting along.

I thought of the Stones line about childhood living in Wild Horses.

Life is certainly easier as a child, isn't it?

The laughter of my children was refreshing because things eventually get tough. Life gets really hard...it starts to become difficult to forget some of the torturous things that life has to offer.

Sooner or later we wear all sort of bullshit veils and we try all sorts of garbage to distract us from the business of just loving.

Life is simple as a child.

Love is not quite so complex in those teenage years.

And there's just so much grace there.

I think of that a lot.

I certainly know that I have been blessed beyond belief.

I laughed a whole lot with my siblings and my parents as well. I remembered the day when my brothers called out for me. I was just returning home from college and I was busy with something else, but they were laughing and they were calling out:

"Cliff! We need you."

I had no clue what might be going on and I passed a doorway. John grabbed me and lifted me off my feet. He carried me to a bedroom in my parents home and Jim and Jeff joined him...

...as they tried to sandpaper my forehead!

We were all wrestling, laughing and kicking.

In the middle of the battle I kicked out...and broke a window.

My lovely brothers scattered...screaming out to my father:

"Cliff broke the window!"

And through my life every single time I needed to be lifted up there was someone there...and we have fallen together...battled through grief and loss.

As an adult we have to place one scar on top of another scar and hope that we can rise above it.

Along the way we forget the grace.

My children's laughter continued for quite some time.

When it all comes down to it, we all should be having fun.

We get lost in the fog. We spend our lives waiting...waiting...waiting...

For it all to be perfect.

And we sort of forget that there's a whole lot of perfection all around us.

When I really, really think about family, friends and the wife and children I have now...

...my heart feels really full.

And I spend a lot of time, watching my children grow, thinking...

...childhood living is easy to do...

...but why do we drift away?

Hold onto it a little bit.

It'll make you smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie