D.B.'s of the Week - Sigma Alpha Epsilon-Oklahoma

How is it possible that in this day and age a group of college students could ride on a bus and chant a song with the following lyrics:

"There will never be a n***er SAE. You can hang from a tree, but never sign with me."

A group of white fraternity brothers from the University of Oklahoma sang the song on the way to a party.

Why?

And the story is getting a whole lot of attention, as it should, but there are a bunch of side stories. There was an elderly woman caught singing along.

Some of the disgraced kids have issued apologies.

I vote all of them D.B.'s of the week.

And here's the rub:

I'm not all that surprised.

First off, people are going to be 'caught' when they do such things. Everyone has a camera and a video recorder on them these days. Everything is captured for maximum attention.

Yet the fact that they wee 'caught' is not the major point here. The fact that they would sing such a song, in the first place, is beyond comprehension.

Is it funny?

Do they mean it?

If they do, why would they?

I get it...race relations surely aren't what we want them to be and there's a whole lot of mistrust. Think of the last six months:

Ferguson, New York Cops executed, Donald Sterling...Obama as the king of all blacks as a lightning rod...and he is...don't kid yourself.

Because they're black?

In 2015?

I don't know that these kids are ever going to recover...but the trying to justify it has begun.

"They're just college kids singing a song."

"They were drunk."

"All frat kids do stupid things."

"Rappers use the n-word in their songs."

All of that is garbage.

I was a drunk frat-party-goer...I just don't know if I would've been comfortable singing that song in a public setting...and that's not a holier-than-thou thing.

Listen...I and a lot of my college buddies did some dumb things...but to be that stupid?

That unaware?

D.B.'s.

All of 'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie