"You're A Mess Of A Human Being"

My kids are starting to catch on.

There are plenty of chores around the house, as you all know.

I'm certain that my children would help out a bit more if I just let them. I have a tendency to do things just as the timer clicks. The dryer stops and I'm folding the laundry before it even finishes it's last spin.

The dog takes a drink of water and I'm re-filling the bowl quickly, saying, as I'm doing so:

"I'll get it. You guys just relax."

So, now that the boys have gotten a little older, they try and help a bit. They actually try and beat me to the punch just so they can say:

"Rest. I'll empty the dishwasher while you take is easy."

(As an aside - my beautiful wife doesn't get involved in this little game. She just sort of laughs at how stupid we are).

Yet on Saturday morning I gazed out at the grass in the back yard.

"Don't even think it," Jake said. "I told you I'd mow the lawn and I will."

Still. He knew.

"Ah, damn, I'll go do it now before you head out there."

(He was actually racing me to the mower).

And I let him do it.

I don't need to limp around. I'm not that much of a martyr.

But as we walked towards the house after going out to dinner I caught a glimpse of the weeds growing near our bushes.

"Where are you going?" Jake asked, following my gaze.

"Pick those weeds," I said.

"You're a mess of a human being," he said. "Just an absolute mess."

I was looking for a bit of clarification.

"Why do you always have to do one more thing than the next guy?" he asked.

I had simply thought that the weeds didn't belong there.

"I like things in order," I said.

Jake shook his head as Sam laughed.

"An absolute mess," he said. "A psychological disaster."

Perhaps.

(I think the water dish is empty).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty