What Else?

So we have opening day and it's actually beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Still alive in your NCAA brackets?

I sort of was as the weekend moved on. Yet the greatest tourney in sports drove me to the brink of utter aggravation and back. Sam was my constant companion and dinner talk has been all about it. Just a tremendous amount of fun and Sam will begin the count down to March Madness as soon as this one is in the books.

Saw the movie Dallas Buyers Club over the weekend too, and what a horrific plight in regard to AIDS back then and most likely still now. I understand when the lifestyle choices bring consequences, especially now that there's so much information available, but I'm never real comfortable when a segment of society is considered disposable. The acting was excellent and we were well into the movie before I was told that Jared Leto was playing the cross-dressing drug addict. God, he's pretty.

Yet the underlying theme of the movie...the big pharmaceutical problem is still scary in a lot of respects. The movie was a bit long, but worth the time.

So has there been a definitive answer on the missing plane? I still haven't figured it out. The exhaustive coverage by the news shows bordered on the absurd.

"Next on CNN, as we search for the missing plane, we're going to speak to mothers who feed their babies by making the airplane noise."

It's a fine example of how people eventually move on from a story. It's difficult to even find a mention.

I see that Gwyneth Paltrow made a lot of news over the weekend by saying that 9-5 moms actually have it easier than millionaire actress moms when it comes to raising kids.

She was actually speaking about routine and being able to do it the same way each day, but it came across as a tad condescending and misguided.

The best bet when you are perceived to 'have it made' is to keep your mouth shut and trudge along. She appears to be a bit of a weird bird anyway with the goofy eating and wacky spiritual search, but hey, I imagine that she's a good mom to her kids...Apple and Oranges...or whatever the hell their names are.

What else?

Oh yeah, had a nerve test at the end of last week. The docs are trying to figure out why my feet are swollen and ache when I abuse them by doing treacherous things like...walking on them.

The nerve test is interesting.

An hour and a half of needle sticks and weird electrical shocks. The overall pain isn't so bad as you get sort of used to the routine of it (Gwyneth is right, by the way)but there were a couple of beauties. The one in the back calf muscle nearly sent me to the ceiling like Sylvester the Cat.

"Sorry about that," the soft-spoken doc said.

"You must enjoy this to some small degree," I answered. "Pissed off at home? I'm going to work to stab some people."

He laughed.

Yet I kept thinking about how complicated and fragile the human body is.

"Something got shook up during the hip surgery," he said. "We'll see if we can figure it out."

Then he handed me a cane that he had in the closet.

"Perhaps you'd think of walking with one of these for awhile."

A cane?

A freaking cane at 49?

I limped out of there.

What else?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty