Celebrate My Beautiful Wife

We were watching the movie Nebraska on Saturday night. We should've been at a party or two to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and my wife's birthday, but her knee is shot and my feet are swollen.

Yeah.

Quite the pair.

And we were gonna' get our drink on.

Yeah, right.

Anywhoha...

Back to the movie. The elderly wife in the film (which is good) never stops picking at the old guy. He just can't do anything right, and she tells him at every turn.

"I'm glimpsing the future," I said.

Yet there was a beautiful scene where the wife leans in and kisses the old guy, and you can tell she loves him.

"I don't wanna' be on the verge of 50," Kathy said.

I thought of Grandpa Fuzzy on the verge of 80.

"Geez, Gramps," I'd said. "80 is a long time. I don't know if I wanna' be 80."

(I was young and dumber).

"You do when you're 79," he said.

So, thinking of that, 49 is no big deal, and contrary to the image I often pretend to portray, I'm not the easiest guy in the world to live with on a daily basis.

No Fuzzy is.

Yet there's my beautiful wife.

Right there.

Holding tight to the things she loves:

Like the I-pad.

An occasional cigarette.

Dance Moms.

Protecting the kids.

Not judging the bad moods.

Working hard.

Limping through all the pain of living.

You know, it's funny, but getting married is often a short-sighted thing. Too many people get so bogged down on the changes that you have to jump (or try to jump) through together.

In a lot of cases, one person gets set adrift...and it just doesn't work.

And I know this is a true round-a-bout way to wish my beautiful wife a wonderful birthday...

...49 to go...

(Oh hell, imagine that!)

But it would be a true honor to have you nag every single little move I make in those late years.

Seems like we're on the path!

Love you.

Happy Birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie