Responsibility

Often times I run across some interesting people in my line of work. There are plenty of really hardworking guys who are just trying to make their way. There are some bums, for sure, and those types are really easy to spot.

I think a lot about something my Dad said to me as I graduated from college all those years ago.

"You're gonna' meet a lot of people out there. You'll be smarter than a lot of them. Stay away from the other ones."

Dad was joking, of course, but there's some truth to it.

There's a real intellectual who is an oversight to a few of my clients. He's just a smart guy, but he also has a sense of humor. He's sort of enjoyed watching my act. Yet, he also deserves watching.

He's really bright.

The guy was visiting recently and he handed me a poker chip that said:

"Responsibility: I accept it."

"I enjoy giving those to people," he said. "Responsible people."

I set the chip aside and nodded.

"You're not giving it enough time to sink in," he said.

I picked up the green chip again and turned it over. The other side said:

"I give you autonomy."

"What the hell is the matter with you?" I asked.

He laughed.

"Think about it," he said. "Wouldn't the world be a better place if those who were granted responsibility accepted it totally?"

He was one of the guys my Dad had warned me about.

"You accepted responsibility in your job. You do that well. You accepted responsibility as a husband. Do you own up to that?"

I nodded.

"And as a Dad?"

"Of course," I said.

He sat back and seemed to be pleased with himself.

"And how many people don't do that in their simple every day tasks?"

I held the chip and flipped it over again.

"I have hundreds of those chips," he said. "I hand them out to the people who work with me. I gave one to my son when he left for college. I gave one to my wife."

"How'd that work out?" I asked.

"She threw it back at me," he said, with a laugh.

Responsibility.

It's a simple concept.

But my friend is right.

There are so many people out there who start doing things without really accepting the responsibility of the task at hand.

I was going to leave the chip on the table between us, but he pushed it back in my direction.

I now carry it around with me.

To remember and accept all the freaking responsibility!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie